From Athens to Helsinki: Help to a fellow biker?

Taksideftis
Pyörä:
Honda VFR 750 RC36
From Athens to Helsinki: Help to a fellow biker?

ViestiKirjoittanut Taksideftis » 9.9.2018 0:19

Hi everyone!

My name is Nick and very recently I’ve moved to Finland from Greece with my wife and son.

I am the very proud owner of a beautiful red Honda VFR 750 B that goes by the name “Avra” (means breeze in Greek).

We have been on a lot of adventures together and for the past 8 years, she has taken me all over Europe. From Albania and the Balkans all the way to Nordkapp and from Turkey up to Ireland and the UK. (By the way, I’ve been to Finland before, I’ve traveled the whole length of the country actually from the north border and Inari lake all the way to Turku.)

The stuff we have seen together and the experiences are simply too many to even mention here, but I’ll just say that my bike is the only VFR that became a ...submarine and survived! (Long story. She was stolen in Ireland and then dumped into a river...)

Most of the years I’ve been traveling alone out of choice, but in one of my journeys up north I’ve met my wife so for the past few years we’ve been riding together.

I love taking photos and writing travel stories about our journeys, and they have been published on quite a few motorcycle forums back in Greece with a bit of success.
(By the way, if I can find the time I’d love to translate some of my stories in English...)

Now, why am I writing all this, you may ask? Well, the reason is simple. Motorcycling and travelling is my passion and I’m dying to find fellow bikers here in Finland. Unfortunately since I don’t speak the language at all, it is pretty much impossible to find information about clubs, forums, meetings, group rides etc. :(

I mean, just to register and write this message I’ve been copying/pasting in google translate 2 days now. NOT fun! :paha:

So, would you be so kind to help a fellow biker from the south find his way here in his new home?

Because I’m an old school guy who hates social media and such things, is anyone interested in meeting up and going for a ride or coffee in a nice old coffee house just to get the ball rolling and getting to know us?

If not, then do you have meetings around the Helsinki area? Also do you have any good routes to recommend for a nice ride out?

Lots of questions I know but don’t bash me. We all got to start from somewhere, right? :lol:

Kuva

Keep on riding!
Nick
Nick

Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.

Http://openhorizons.wordpress.com
MänTä Moderaattori
Pyörä:
Jawa 350(-01) SuzukiGT250(-77) YamahaRD350F1(-85)
Re: From Athens to Helsinki: Help to a fellow biker?

ViestiKirjoittanut MänTä » 9.9.2018 8:01

Hello!

You are in luck to reside in Helsinki area.

http://wanhapehtoori.org/tapahtumat/

Every wednesday in the summertime motorists flock to Haltialan kotieläintila. The meeting starts at 18:00 officially, but there are a lot of motorcycles even before that. I'm guessing that the meetings continue as long as the weather allows.
Taksideftis
Pyörä:
Honda VFR 750 RC36
Re: From Athens to Helsinki: Help to a fellow biker?

ViestiKirjoittanut Taksideftis » 12.9.2018 12:51

I’ve heard from others about this meeting place Haltialan. Seems to be a really cool place!

Thanks for the advice. Weather permitting I’ll be going there to check it out!

Now, if only we can convince the weather to keep it nice and sunny for a little while longer to do some rides.... :lol:
Nick

Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.

Http://openhorizons.wordpress.com